Wednesday, April 27, 2011

SMARTBoard Lesson Review

In my grad class, we started looking at some SMART lesson plans on the SMART Exchange website, which has a bounty of wonderful lessons varying in subject, length, use, and grade level.

I decided to search a topic that I remember viewing in my observation classroom.  It was a lesson on telling time in an inclusive classroom.  So I typed in time and came up with this SMARTBoard Time Lesson submitted by user tleter.

Overall, the presentation is visually attractive and well put together.  What I really liked about this lesson is the ample opportunity for student involvement.  There are lots of practice questions to get students to come up and get involved.  Also, I enjoyed how the teacher instruction part of the lesson is shown in one manner and then the student practice part of the lesson has the students performing the same sort of tasks as they had been taught.  For example, on the teaching pages of the lesson, the instructions are to use the pen to draw in the hands, then later, when they practice, they are asked to do the same.

Some things I would change have to do with the consistency of the slides.  On slide 4, every other time has "o'clock" labeled.  I would keep all the same, or have none at all.  Also, on slides 7 and 10, the instructions on the page say "Type the correct time for each clock."  Unless I am unfamiliar, I do not see how one could easily type in the times.  Lastly, while I feel the interactive activities are good, I feel like there is much more that could be expanded upon.  Perhaps including some other multimedia, like a video  about telling time, would be a great addition to the lesson.

Also, I think many students may have difficulty with digital time compared to analog time, so maybe showing representations of the two forms next to each other could provide extra support.

What do you think of this lesson?  What's really great? What would you change?

1 comment:

  1. SMART Exchange is a great site that always has what you are looking for. I have found quite a few math lessons on there. I like that you can preview the lessons before downloading them.

    I like the lesson you found about telling time. You brought up a lot of great points. It definitely keeps the visual learners focused and is very attractive. It also covers a lot of information. Telling time on the hour, the half hour, the quarter, to the nearest 5 minutes, and even drawing in the correct time.

    To answer your question about having "o'clock" labeled on slide 4, I think you can just add that text in that slide and group it with the number. That way, when you go to move the grouped text, it will move as one object. I also agree with you that a slide or two about digital time will improve the lesson as well.

    ReplyDelete